The Sanford Endowment
is a collection of unrestricted and restricted funds that are invested in order to generate income for the school. Endowment funds are designed to keep the principal corpus intact so it can grow over time. Because the principal amount is never touched, gifts to the Sanford Endowment provide stable, perennial financial support for the school’s ongoing operations and programs and thus benefit the school in perpetuity. Income generated from the principal can be used each year to fund operations or for purposes deemed necessary by the Head of School and board of trustees. In some years, approximately 5% of the school’s annual operating budget is funded by a 5% draw from the Sanford Endowment investment income, making it one of three primary sources of operating revenue, along with tuition and annual gifts to the Sanford Fund.
If you are interested in giving a gift to an endowment fund, contact the Development Office to designate it in one of 3 ways:
- The Sanford Endowment Unrestricted Fund consists of gifts to the unrestricted endowment account. It allows school leadership the flexibility to use the investment income where it is most needed each year. Give Now. Pledge Now.
- In collaboration with school leadership, establish a brand-new endowment fund restricted to a specific ongoing project or program. Please contact the Development Office if you are interested in this option.
- Give to an already existing named endowment fund. These funds are included in the Sanford Endowment assets but are restricted for the specific purpose listed below. Please contact the Development Office if you are interested in donating to one of the following 7 endowment funds.
- The Helen Vermeychuk Scholarship Fund was established to honor former Sanford faculty member Helen Vermeychuk. It is a monetary award given each year to a student whose potential inspires a teacher's best efforts.
- The Paul H. Donovan Fund was established to honor former Sanford faculty member and World Language Chair Paul H. Donovan. It is a monetary award given each year to a faculty member who is distinguished in his or her work.
- The Chip and Debbie MacKelcan Fund was established to honor former Sanford Head of School, Chip MacKelcan and his wife Debbie. It is awarded to a student who demonstrates academic achievement, positive school citizenship, and financial need.
- The André and Susan Dagenais Fund was established to honor former Sanford faculty members André and Susan Dagenais. It is a monetary award given each year to a faculty member who is a mentor, going above and beyond for their students and colleagues.
- The Lloyd Johns Fund was established to honor former Sanford faculty member Lloyd Johns. It is a monetary award given each year to a faculty member who challenges his/her students.
- The Stan Waterman Fund was established to honor former Sanford faculty member and coach Stan Waterman. It is a monetary award given each year to an exceptional Sanford coach.
- The Mitchell Family Scholarship Fund was established in 2021 by Heather and Kenny Mitchell '93 and was first awarded to a member of the Class of 2027. It is granted to a student who demonstrates great potential to add to the life of the school, as well as significant financial need.